There are legends about taking care of your face that we’ve known since childhood and that could fill a fairytale book. We call them facecare lies, and you should stop believing in them right away.
Here are 6 facecare lies too many of us believe:
This isn’t what causes acne. It’s mostly a hormone imbalance that is the culprit. The release of a certain type of hormone called androgen hormones, masculinising hormones, causes oil producing glands to enlarge and stimulate oil production. Adult acne in women has varying causes including increase in hormones during pregnancy and post-partum. So the bottom line on acne is blame your hormones.
1. Not washing your face enough
2. Not Enough ExfoliationUse an exfoliating brush or scrub every day to keep skin looking young. Over-exfoliating your face can have just the opposite effect, stripping it of essential oils and creating inflammation. In fact, those who over-exfoliate can help increase the aging effects so it’s better to stick with two or three times a week at most.
3. The higher SPF in the sunscreen, the betterHigher SPF doesn’t mean better protection, it just refers to the amount of protection time the product offers from UVB rays and sunburn. Look for a sunscreen that says it offers a broad spectrum of protection from UVA and UVB rays and the SPF should be at least 15. UVA (the UV stands for ultraviolet); UVA rays are the ones that damage your skin’s DNA and cause pigment changes; UVB rays are the ones that cause sunburn. Also, don’t rely on a moisturizer or makeup with an SPF; they don’t contain enough to make a difference.
4. You can use a makeup brush for a while, then toss it awayWhile it’s certainly OK to keep your favorite makeup brush until the last strand of hair is gone, the legend here is that you don’t need to clean an application brush before every use. In fact, keeping your brush clean with a gentle shampoo (baby shampoo is good) can also help in the application so that it slides on more naturally and smoothly on your skin. It also protects against bacteria. And, yikes! Never use saliva to smooth out the tip of an eyeliner or lip brush! That’s bacteria central even if it is your own spit.
5. Popping zits is the best way to get rid of themLeave your face alone. Squeezing a pimple can lead to inflammation and lead to scarring. Skincare and beauty researchers at Adore Cosmetics say it’s best to let a pimple run its life span, which will heal in about three to 7 days. Fuss with it and it can linger for weeks.
6. Applying moisturizer or foundation in upward strokes will help prevent wrinklesThere is really not one way to rub wrinkles into your face. The skin is elastic and when you stretch it, it bounces back. The only way to really create a wrinkle is to stretch the skin for a prolonged period of time. Best advice is to protect and prolongue your skin’s elasticity using a good moisturizer like Adore Cosmetics Redefining Cream.
If you enjoyed this post, continue reading: How Can I Look Younger with Makeup?